- 1980 – idea of TDCL (now called DTP –Downtown Truro Partnership)
- 1980 – 2006 TFM sponsored by DTP: coordinating advertising, basic administrative function, liaison , etc. although the Market had long become financially self supporting with an Executive Committee and membership to oversee operations
- present structure: a not-for-profit cooperative with a 12 member Board
- member of Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia Cooperative
- present location – its 4th home is the Old Truro Fire Hall
- 8 weeks initially to eventually 4 months and in recent years to 35 weeks
- 2017 open year round
- has had a paid coordinator over the years
- current year (2017) – 45 members, 30+/- non members
- customer base – average 1200+/ week (500+/- to 2000+/-)
The Truro Farmers Market has worked collaboratively with the Town of Truro to bring new life to the Old Truro Fire Hall. Starting in the fall of 2011, the Fire Hall became the permanent home for the Farmers Market.
The original piece of Old Fire Hall was built in 1899. This property has gone through expansions and renovations over the years. The Old Fire Hall was closed in the early 2000′s when the new Fire Hall was built. The architect, Ernest Daniel Vernon (1874-1942), was also responsible for the extension from three to five bays in 1915. This was the architect also for St. John’s Parish Hall, Alice Street School, Colchester County Hospital, and the modern 1938 residence built for W.H. Faltenhine on Victoria Street.
The building was restored and re-purposed to create a spectacular farmers market and public space for the community. The entire main floor was gutted with new heating, ventilation, electrical and plumbing installed. 2 new public washrooms were created to service the Market and public events. The Market houses a commercially inspected kitchen, stalls with hand wash sinks and a generous indoors food court. A 20 foot long dry erase wall provides customers and vendors with a space to comment, share news and celebrate the Market. The new Market features 5000 square feet of retail space inside and 5000 square feet of retail outside under the canopy. The Canopy provides vendors and the public protection from the weather and serves as a rain location for Downtown events. Construction of the canopy created 24 new parking spaces Downtown.
The project has had significant financial support from the Town of Truro. Additional financial support has been received from the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, the Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture, Direct Marketing Trust, Downtown Truro Partnership and the Colchester Regional Development Agency.